About this Tutorial
Over 3 months, John recorded over 75 hours of interviews and spoke to some of the most respected people in the industry to produce an audio documentary that attempts to answer the question "What is safety? And why is it important anyway?".
This highly interactive session will present the findings, guiding and challenging you through a journey to understanding safety. With discussion and improvisation, it will cover the following topics:
- what is safety?
- what are the elements that make a team effective?
- is psychological safety the foundation to team performance?
- what can we all do to help foster psychological safety in our teams?
- what is the relationship between safety, stress and engagement?
- what is the impact of a lack of safety and engagement on society?
This session grew as John created the new podcast, The Agile Path. The first season on this podcast is about safety in teams. This has been a fascinating deep dive learning experience for John and he hopes to explore these insights with participants.
Learning outcomes - you will understand:
- what psychological safety is
- the 5 facets of an effective team
- why psychological safety is foundational to team effectiveness
- some of the key signs of unsafety in teams
- the relationship between safety, workplace stress and engagement (using the JD-R model)
- the impact of low safety, low engagement workplaces on wider society
*Swearing and/or nudity not guaranteed. No refunds accepted based solely on quantity of clothing and/or curse words.
About the Speaker
John has spent most of the last 2 decades working in the software industry, with a focus on web technologies. After 10 years as a software engineer John moved into consultancy, where he quickly learned the value of team dynamics and how most technical challenges are projecting underlying issues with collaboration. So his focus shifted: whilst still being very involved technically, his first focus is on facilitating a safe, creative and collaborative environment.